1. Call our office at 858-536-1115 to open an
account and obtain a username and password
We will NOT ask for your
credit card or any other billing information at this time. All we need
to know is what username and password you want to use and your phone
number so we can contact you. If you decide to keep the service, then we
will work out the billing details.
Download the client software
If you want to perform the installation now, choose
OPEN. If you want to save the file for installing later, choose SAVE
and be sure to save to a location you can later find (such as your
If you chose SAVE, minimize this window and look
for the program "backupclient.exe" on your desktop.
Double-click the file to start the installation.
Follow the screenshots below to complete the
2. Click OK
3. Click NEXT
4. Click NEXT to accept the default location
5. Click NEXT to accept the default folder name
6. Click NEXT to install the program as a service (this
is the most common scenario)
7. Click NEXT to install using the local system account
(this is the most common selection)
The other setting is if you are on a Domain or have
limited user rights. In that case you or your system administrator has
to enter the name of the administrator account and password in the box
8. Click NEXT to complete the initial installation
9. After you click on Finish above, the program will
start and continue with the configuration steps. Click NEXT.
10. Click NEXT
11. Click NEXT
12. Enter the username and password you obtained from
13. Click NEXT
14. Click "Test Connection to the Backup Server" to see
if the program can communicate with our server
15. If everything is correct, you are to be
congratulated! Click OK, then NEXT
16. Click NEXT. The name of your backup set will
default to the name of your computer
17. Click "Create a backup schedule now"
18. Click NEXT. The default schedule name is "My
19. Click NEXT. The name of your computer will appear
in place of "EXAMPLE" below
20. Click NEXT to accept the default of "Daily backup".
This is the most common kind of backup
21. Click NEXT to perform a weekday backup. If you want
to backup on weekends too, choose the other option.
22. Click NEXT to backup once each day.
If you want to backup multiple times per day, choose the
other option and create an appropriate schedule that meets your needs.
23. Select 10:30 pm as your backup time. Be sure to
specify PM then click NEXT
This computer must be left
on all the time since it is hosting the backup application. Please close
out of all your programs to insure a successful backup.
24. Click NEXT
25. Click FINISH. You are now done with the schedule
26. Click NEXT
27. Click NEXT if you want to use your username and
password as the secret key
Since we created your
account, we have your username and password on file to allow us to
recover files for you in the event you need them. If you want total
security so that even we don't have access to your files, select "Set a
special secret key to encrypt my files". This will allow only you to
unlock the files using your special key. WARNING: If you loose this key,
the files will not be recoverable in any way by anyone. Use this option
with caution and be sure someone or several people at your location has
the special key.
28. Click FINISH. You are done with most of the setup.
Just a few more steps and you'll be truly done!
29. Now we need to setup the email notification part.
On the main screen, navigate the menus shown below
This is a critical part of the setup process. Email
notification is how you and we know the system is working properly.
Following each backup, the program will send an email to you and to us
with the complete backup details. We look at these emails which list all
the files that were backed up to insure things are working properly.
30. Click the MAIL tab
31. Enter the email address where you want to receive
Most of the settings on this screen are already
entered for you. In place of "your email goes here", enter the email
address where you want the notifications to go. It could be either your
address or the address of someone at your location who is to be
responsible for checking up on the backup. Under Username, enter
"email@example.com" and under Password enter
"backupcustomer", of course without the quotes. Leave the other settings
as they are and click "Send Test Mail" to test email notification.
32. Click OK to close the box and then click OK again
to close the backup options window.
At this point, you should check your email (or have
the person whose email you entered check their email) for the test
33. Next is arguably the most important part of the
whole setup... Choosing what to back up.
The image below shows an example of the left-hand
pane of the backup program. Of course yours will look different because
you have different files and folders that our example computer. Select
the directories you want to back up.
34. Look at the bar at the bottom of the screen as in
the figure below.
The number at far left shows how much storage you
have already used on our server. The item in the middle shows how many
files you have selected and the number on the right shows how many MB
the files you have selected occupy. Note that the "Kilobytes selected"
is uncompressed. This means that this is the real size of your
selected files. Before the backup is sent to our servers, the files are
compressed. Typically, they compress 2:1 so if you have chosen our 1 GB
plan, you can select up to 2 GB (2000 MB) of files. Also note that there
has to be some room left over for previous versions so in reality you
should choose around 1.5 GB. We will figure out how much actual space
you need after about 1 week of backups. If your file selection exceeds
your account limit, we can either remove files from your backup or
increase your account limit.
^ back to top ^